Creating Lifelong Musicians
Our mission is making music education more accessible, effective, and fun so that anyone can enjoy the lifelong skill of creating and playing music.
Combining technology, design, pedagogy, and audio engineering, we create a modern and new approach to learning music that boosts engagement and learning for students, saves time for teachers, and provides valuable insights for district leaders.
Pioneering Adaptive Learning Tech in Music
2014: Our CEO Dan taught guitar students using a new practice methodology on PowerPoint files. A beginner student learned Sweet Home Alabama in her first lesson, much to Dan’s surprise.
2019: Moosiko was born with an initial software platform based on Dan’s PowerPoint files. One of our early users sums up how we’re different: “I tried YouTube and got stuck after 3 chords. This is brilliant!”
2020: School guitar classes started using Moosiko during the pandemic providing benefits for students and teachers. Moosiko shifts to focus fully on music education in schools partnering with 40 districts and 3k students.
2021: We added ukulele, teacher assessment tools, more advanced skills, and PD resources growing to over 120 schools. One student in CA learned every skill on Moosiko and practiced 75 hours!
2022: We added a new songwriting builder, one-click student import, and scales / riffs / solo lessons. Our user base grew to include 300 teachers and 10k students including our first international customer.
It Takes a Village
We’re proud to support and collaborate with partners that share the same mission of modernizing music education in schools.
Madi: Marketing Manager
Bill: Lead Developer
Dan: Founder & CEO
Josie: UX Designer
Moosiko Strives for Equity
As a vendor providing tools, products, and support for the education industry, we believe the burden is on us to address equity in the classroom. Here are some things we do to make music education more equitable for both students and teachers:
- Personalization: With our wide variety of musical genres and songs from the 1950s to today, we provide content for all backgrounds, communities, and genders. 100% of our content is student requested to ensure musical repertoire equality.
- Cross Device: Moosiko works on Apple, Android, and Windows devices as well as laptops, mobile, and tablets.
- Multilingual: We’ve got songs in Spanish, Korean, and Japanese. We support additional languages and music as requested.
- Gender Equality: 40% of the artists on our platform are female as we strive for gender equity.
- Visual: Moosiko is ~80% visual meaning we minimize written instruction to ensure non-english speakers can use our platform too.
- 508 Compliant: Use of multimodal information (colors, shapes, text, audio) to maximize accessibility.
Core Values – This is our promise to our customers & partners
- Fun – No matter if you’re 6 or 96, playing music should be fun and never feel like a chore. We strive to make Moosiko a place you can turn to enjoy the magic of making music.
- Expression – Writing or playing a song for a loved one, enjoying friendship around a campfire, grieving after a breakup, letting out stress with the amp turned up, promoting a deeply held belief…playing and writing music helps us express who we are and how we feel. We want to shepherd that process by inspiring our users to express themselves more deeply and truly through music.
- Learning Innovation – Our promise is to always help schools, teachers, and instructors become better educators by innovating at the forefront of the music and education industry.